Re: [Phys-l] prime time

At 09:47 PM 2/18/2006, Anthony L., you wrote:
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with physics, but I have wondered
for many years about one thing. How do they know how many people watch
certain TV shows? I heard that 137 million people worldwide watched the
recent Super Bowl. Where do these figures come from, and how is it figured
out? When your TV set is on, can someone tell what you're actually
watching by the frequency or something? Or are these just "estimates," and
if so what are they based on? Any physics here?

It used to be, selected families were asked to fill in their viewing
habits, week by week. But a more immediate, more accurate result
has been provided by instrumented viewing meters.

The Nielsen folks would be offended to suppose they produce
"just estimates". (Shades of Newton is just a theory?)
The census demographers were similarly
disappointed that their statistical determination of the missing
fraction was not permitted to enumerate populations which
determine representation in Congress.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!