[Phys-L] OT: The Politics of Science

I was not pleased to read this excerpt from a
Washington Post piece. PR reps have a place, but
fake young White Office advocates?

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/08/AR2006020801991.html>

[I have not attempted to verify the facts - researching
this while holding my nose is just too tough.]

Brian

"IT IS A RARE thing for the biography of a 24-year-old NASA
spokesman to attract the attention of the national media.
But that is what happened this week when George C. Deutsch
tendered his resignation. Mr. Deutsch had, it emerged, lied
about his (nonexistent) undergraduate degree from Texas
A&M University. Far more important, several New York Times
articles over the past week or so have exposed Mr. Deutsch
as one of several White House-appointed public affairs
officers at the agency who tried to prevent senior NASA
career scientists from speaking and writing freely,
especially when their views on the realities of climate change
differed from those of the White House."

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!