[Phys-L] Re: Light from fireball visible?

At 16:26 -0800 2/9/06, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Is on the west coast, middle of the island. In the direction to
Shanghai, the highest part of the mountain ridge (SW of city) is 1500
ft (GOOGLE Earth). This is irrelevant, just being picky.

OK. I didn't look at a map to see the orientation between Nagasaki
and Shanghai. I assumed it was mostly north. But if it is west, then
my conjecture was not to the point. A also didn't look up the
fireball size or its HOB, assuming that it couldn't be larger than
the HOB (since it didn't touch the ground), and assuming that the HOB
was the same as at Hiroshima (1920 ft, IIRC), I used a max height of
4000 ft. Your value is only about 60% of that, which makes it even
more unlikely that it would have been seen.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams