[Phys-L] Re: Elecric Field Lines

Bob wrote:

JM wrote:
| . . .
| Just yesterday I had every student in a junior E and M class tell me
| that, if Cvector dot Avector = Cvector dot Bvector for any Cvector
| then we can cancel the Cvector on both sides of the equation and
| determine that Avector = Bvector. That is the right answer, and the
| argument is appealing, but it is, nevertheless, wrong.
| . . .

Perhaps they were inferring "for any Cvector" to mean "for any and all
possible Cvectors"

And so they should have for that is what it means. Indeed, the
result simply isn't true otherwise. But I can assure you, based on
how long it took me to make them understand the critical importance
of that fact, that they weren't inferring any such thing!

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>