[Phys-L] Re: Elecric Field Lines

Consider two equal positive charges on the x-axis where q1 is at -1m and q2 is
at +1m. ...

My question is: Are there any lines that approach the y axis
asymptotically, or do all lines that begin between x = -1 and x = +1
eventually curve away from the y axis (and eventually cross my
vertical boundary lines)?

Following up on my earlier reply: Among other things, in the TPT
reference I gave before I show that ALL field lines in this region
are diverging from the y-axis if

|y| > 2^(1/2) m.

So the somewhat surprising fact is that NO field line approaches the
y-axis for very long.

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona