[Phys-L] Electric Field Lines

I wrote:
| I am concerned with the region between the vertical lines x =
| -1m and x = +1m.
|
| I had mistakenly thought that lines in this region would
| always approach the y axis; in other words, if a line set out
| from a charge toward the y axis it would never eventually
| curve away from the y axis.
|
| This clearly cannot be the case, since if we consider any
| point on, say line y = -1, (other than 0,-1) the x component
| of its electric field is negative, meaning it is part of a
| field line headed (somewhat) to the left. Since the field
| line originated on q1 it must have started out headed to the right.

to which Joel Rauber responded

"I don't believe the above statement,

Consider the point (-1/2,-1), its on your line, but the E field has a
positive x-component, i.e. heading toward the y-axis"

ooops, I miswrote.

the line I meant to refer to is x = -1 for points other than (-1, 0).

Sorry about my confusion.

--
Stuart Leinoff
Professor of Physics