[Phys-L] Re: "You may now use your Geiger counter"

Don't know *. Xavier Maruyama at an NCNAAPT meeting, before that day,
gave a talk ** on his use of a pocket one he bought in Russia. They
were mfg'd for the frightened after Chernobyl. I bought several from a
surplus store in Sn Jose and was surprised at the increase in
background. It can serve as a rough measure of the altitude.

* Judging from the continuing horror stories, I suspect you would be
hauled into the dungeon and grilled 'till your plane left.

** His point was the dose for flight crews exceeded the federal limits
for lay exposure. If the crew were classified as nuclear workers, it
would be OK.

bc, is checking up on boats to Europe for his Summer vac.

p.s. I recently read small scissors would now be permitted. I suggest
you purchase the Vernier rad. monitor; much smaller and less
frightening, larger than mine, has rate meter and speaker (w/ switch),
but still pocket sized.

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

Is there a specific list of "banned" items which nobody can take onto any
airplane? And if so, is a Geiger counter one of them? I've often wanted to
take one of these up (those old yellow ones with a meter but no clicking
noise) to see the effects of radiation at high altitudes. It is not a
weapon, but I imagine it looks suspicious enough to cause it to be
confiscated (unlike an accelerometer I've taken aboard with ease). Could a
passenger ask to get permission ahead of time to avoid this situation?
Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with this?