[Phys-L] "You may now use your Geiger counter"

Is there a specific list of "banned" items which nobody can take onto any
airplane? And if so, is a Geiger counter one of them? I've often wanted to
take one of these up (those old yellow ones with a meter but no clicking
noise) to see the effects of radiation at high altitudes. It is not a
weapon, but I imagine it looks suspicious enough to cause it to be
confiscated (unlike an accelerometer I've taken aboard with ease). Could a
passenger ask to get permission ahead of time to avoid this situation?
Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with this?