[Phys-L] Re: Physics Solutions Manual

Institutional memory is the problem. Now that we have the internet
memory, fraternities no long need keep tests, homework, essays, etc.

bc, whose essay on "RADAR and The Battle of Britain" for ROTC (UCSB)
appeared in a Harvard collection. (1955/56)

p.s. this is another reason for collecting many old texts. At least the
students must learn how to use the library.

Cindy Schwarz wrote:

this goes farther than intro - a colleague emailed me this

Hi Cindy,

I'm discovering that there are a lot of solutions to textbook problems
online. For example, here are some for Griffith's quantum course:

http://www.solutionarchive.org/auto.php?pageid=sasearch.php&EPP=10

This problem seems just as bad or worse for Griffith's EM. :(

I have also had problems where my own students give me solutions that
look just like the ones I gave out to the class last year or the year
before - yes I switch problems but for some courses like Quantum you
dont have alot that they can actually do to choose from.

This online "cheating" just makes access easier - it was always an
option for students in the past - I think awareness is key.

Cindy Schwarz
Professor of Physics
Vassar College