[Phys-L] Re: the plane truth

John's barn door, as wing, reminds me of kites. They have lotsa lift
and are usually quite flat.

Now my question: A spherical, He filled, balloon tethered will be
brought down, say the tether to 45 deg.?, by a stiff wind. How may one
design a balloon to be less affected by wind?

I thought drag may be reduced by using a lenticularly shaped balloon and
lift increased by using the balloon to tether a kite.

Comments and assistance please.

bc, who thinks the only reason wings are thick is to hold fuel (joke)

John Denker wrote:

Roger Haar wrote:

Airplane wings are actually fairly complex.

Fluid dynamics in general is horrendously complex.

Air
moving faster over the top is fairly simple.
Consider a wing that has the following
cross-section. A one meter long straight flat
bottom and a half circle on top. The air passing
along the bottom travels a 1 meter path length.
The air that starts at the leading edge and goes
over the top travels a distance of pi/2. This is
not a very good wing, but it illustrates the
idea.

No, that is a completely bogus wing and is completely
false and misleading with respect to what's really
going on. For one thing, it makes a completely false
prediction about the dependence of lift on angle of
attack.

This "wing" has been re-invented many times. Even
Albert Einstein got in on the act, proposing _multiple_
bumps on the top side. It remains, however, completely
bogus, as Uncle Al soon realized.

( My favorite quick demo of this is a spoon in the
flow of a facet the is only partially open. Hold
the spoon vertically by its handle. Have the water
flow over the curved bask of the spoon. The spoon
will be pulled into the stream, and you can see
the deflection of the stream of water.)

Also completely bogus.
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/spins.html#sec-teaspoon-effect

Air that is split by the passing of a wing, does
not have to rejoin at exactly the same place. The
upper air might lag a bit, but the amount of lag
cannot continually increase, otherwise there would
eventually be a huge pile of air someplace.

Diametrically false. The air going over the top arrives
at the back substantially _earlier_ than the corresponding
air passing under the wing, as required by the Kutta-Zhukovsky
theorem.
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html#sec-k-z