[Phys-L] Re: work and heat

My replies will be delayed according to the digest postings. So sorry
if I repeat something someone else says in the meantime or if I don't
seem to initially reply to something you write.

It's darned useful to engineers and people who worry about engines, air
conditioning, and the like.
Jack

I agree it's a useful distinction in some contexts. Just not *in general*.

John writes:

That's a good question, but perhaps we would be wiser to precede
it with the question of *whether* we should spend class time trying
to define work and heat.

I assume work was already treated in mechanics. I think it's helpful
to connect to that prior experience when thermo is introduced. I
agree one doesn't want to make to go overboard on work and heat
however.

Today's textbooks are full of end-of-chapter problems involving
blah-blah-heat and blah-blah-work. But in the real world, if
you're trying to design something or analyze something, you are
vastly better off keeping track of the energy and the entropy.

I hope I made it clear in my letter that I agree completely with
this. The real goal is figuring out the energy and entropy changes.
If heat and work help you get there, use them. If not, ditch them.

Bottom line: We agree that this topic is important, and we largely
agree as to the nature of the problem. But my recommended solution
is different from Carl's.

I didn't explicitly propose any solution. But implicitly I am
proposing that one start with categories of heat and work, and simple
calculations thereof, as a way of introducing thermodynamic concepts.
Then (perhaps only in a dedicated course on thermo) progress to more
advanced ideas and ways of thinking and give up the earlier, weaker
scaffolding. I think this is what we do in physics teaching in
general.

My recommendation: Spend the least possible class time on heat and
work. Concentrate on achieving a robust understanding of energy
and entropy.

I agree with this. Perhaps the only slight difference between us (and
maybe you don't really disagree even on this point) is that I
recognize that heat and work have some utility. They can be helpful
when analyzing reversible processes. They have a place when thinking
about gases, particularly ideal gases. But I emphasize the qualifier
*some*. Energy, entropy, and other state functions are of primary
importance; work and heat only secondarily so. See my remark about
Ref 3 in my letter for example.

Tom wrote:
Heat and work appear in the energy balance, but only heat appears in
the entropy balance.

That sentence only appears valid for a reversible process. Joule's
experiment seems a prime example of a process in which the entropy of
the system of water changes when only work was done (by the paddles
which are part of the surroundings). No heat is involved.

The equations I use are at http://dematerialism.net/baleqs31.htm .

Please explain what L_CV "lost work" is and how to calculate it. Then
we discuss this further.
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002