From: "Anthony Lapinski" <anthony_lapinski@PDS.ORG>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 3:15 PM
Subject: tea

When tea is stirred, why do the leaves end up in the CENTER of the cup?
After all, they are more dense than the surrounding water, and I would
expect them to be "thrown to the outside" (like a centrifuge) due to their
larger inertia. I am thinking of the cork/water demo, where a cork is
suspended (upside down) by a string in water. If you hold the bottle and
spin around, the cork (with less inertia) moves toward the center of the
circle. Why do the tea leaves behave differently? Does it have to do with
some internal forces within the spinning tea?