[Phys-L] Universities, enemies of the people

vide Ibsen and Miller.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/theaterarts/2002183204_enemy18.html

PENTAGON SAYS BERKELEY, NYU AND UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN POSSIBLE
THREAT TO NATIONAL SECURITY

MEG RAFFERTY, BOSTON UNIV DAILY FREE PRESS - According to the
Pentagon, several universities in the U.S. may pose a danger to
national security.
On-campus protests against military recruitment landed eight national
universities, including New York University and University of
California-Berkeley, on a Pentagon watch list for being threats to
national security. . .

According to the document, all of the campus protests were aimed at
campus recruiters and were held at the New York University, the State
University of New York at Albany, Southern Connecticut State
University, City College of the City University of New York,
UC-Berkeley and UC-Santa Cruz, an unspecified campus of the University
of Wisconsin and "a New Jersey university."

"We were surprised, to say the least, that our university was on the
list *," said Josh Taylor, a New York University spokesperson. "We were
a bit concerned, understandably, because we are not entirely clear how
we wound up on it.". . .

After Sept. 11th, 2001, the Department of Defense developed a database
of "unfiltered" threat information called the Threat and Local
Observation Notice, or TALON. . . According to an unclassified
Pentagon document, the TALON report is a web-based entry form that
lists reportable events, or "non-specific threats to DOD interests."
These threats include: suspected surveillance of DoD facilities and
personnel, threats of security, bomb threats and unusual repetitive
activity. The only university to be deemed as a "credible" threat in
the expansive DOD document was the UCSC.

The targeted event, a non-violent Students Against War protest at
UCSC, was held on April 5 and drew more than 250 students and some
faculty who were opposed to military recruiting at an on-campus
college career fair.

http://www.uwire.com/content//topnews012406001.html

* How about being surprised there is a list at all, or, OTOH, a cynical
response, whadau xpect from a Fascist regime?

bc, proud to have worked for the credible national security threat, and
wonders which one, Rutgers or Princeton?