From: "Jack Uretsky" <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: Another attack on Evolution

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Justin Parke wrote (in part):

Your logic is as follows: evolution is true and basically indisputable
by honest people. Therefore honest religious people must find a way to
reconcile their religious beliefs with the indisputable fact of evolution.

The problem as I see it is that while honest people do not dispute that
evolution (i.e. changes within a species) occurs it has not yet been
established to anywhere near the same level of indisputability that
all species evolved from a single or a few common ancestors. I think
your logical progression is misleading in that it assumes that since
change within a species has been observed that all other postulates
of evolutionary theory are therefore true.

Justin

This canard is frequently repeated by followers of the now
thoroughly discredited "Discovery Institute" (See the opinion in the Dover
School Board case). It is based on at least two mistakes.
(1) There is not, in biology, a precise definition of the term "species";
whether of not two "different" species have a common ancestor, depends
upon the arbitrary choice of how the species in question are defined. The
issue is one of linguistics, not science.
(2) There is now an "embarrassment of riches" in the number of
inter-species (given customary usages of the term) examples in the fossil
record, and new ones are reported almost every week in Nature magazine.
Two examples that come quickly to mind are "Lucy", and the recent
discovery in China of feathered dinosaur (an evolutionary step to birds).

Regards,
Jack