[Phys-L] lead vest

My dentist has a lead apron, which is obviously used for mouth x-rays. So
I got to talking to him about this. The lead is 3 mm thick in this apron.
He said the x-rays are of such low power and have little diffraction that
the vest is not even necessary. But he has to use the vest -- I guess to
make it appear that patients' bodies are being protected. So I have two
questions now that I have reflected on this somewhat surprising
information my dentist shared with me.

How "powerful" are dental x-rays? And if they were pointed DIRECTLY at a
sheet of lead 3 mm thick, would they make it through?

How powerful are the x-ray machines at airports for screening carry-on
baggage? And could someone (like a dentist) use a lead vest to conceal a
weapon as the items are being scanned?