Sent: Tue 1/17/2006 11:05 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Doppler film loop

Michael comments:

-----Original Message-----
=46rom: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu]=
On
Behalf Of Edmiston, Mike
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:49 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU

Concerning the library throwing out something without checking, Joel
said, "I hope you complained vociferously."

We got a new librarian a couple years ago and she
was concerned about lack of shelf space in the stacks, so she starte=
"pruning" the collection of "old out-of-date worthless books." With=
out
asking she pruned (she literally threw in the trash) the Feynman
Lecture
Series and the Berkeley Physics Series. Of course I did not discove=
this until they were gone. When I complained, she said they were to=
old and couldn't be of much value. When I got angry and told her th=
at
no bona fide librarian would throw out old books without checking th=
eir
value she got angry back and told me it was her decision.

We are fortunate to have a library director who recognizes disciplina=
ry
responsibility for the collection. She will periodically ask us to c=
ull
=66rom the collection those books which are not needed - but leaves i=
t to
our call what that means. She also replaces anything weeded out with
materials that we ask for.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than

sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College