[Phys-L] Re: The view from the Enterprise.

I have so far only one qualitative comment - the one regarding Rick's=
statement that the oncoming light is blue-shifted. This does not=
=20
necessarily mean, however, that the stars in front view will "go out"=
,
because ALL frequencies undergo this shift, so as the stellar visible=
=20
spectrum (in the galactic rest frame) will shift into UV (in the fram=
e=20
of the spaceship), by the same token some of the stellar IR-radiation=
=20
will be blue-shifted into the visible. Even if the ship's velocity=
=20
approaches c, there will always be a region of the stellar spectrum=
=20
(first IR, then radio) blue-shifted into the visible. One could say=
=20
that the stars in front will become invisible anyway due to the drop
in the intensity of the IR and especially radio-frequency of the=20
black-body spectrum; however, together with the blue-shift, the Loren=
tz=20
boost will increase the intensity of the oncoming light in the ship's=
=20
rest frame.
Which one out of these two opposing effects is stronger, I cannot say
right now. It needs some quantitative estimation.

Moses Fayngold,=20
NJIT=20