[Phys-L] Re: earthquakes +- critical thinking

And this is the problem. Most people do not know how to think critically.
Our schools/subjects/teachers do not teach students how to think
critically. Physicists probably teach these skills best, which is what
makes the subject so challenging. And standardized tests are not much
help. Nor is grade inflation. Kids might have high marks on their
transcripts when they leave a school (even a private one), but do they
really know how to think? No way. Give some "essay" questions your tests
as I do. It will open your eyes into what your students know and how they
apply what they know.

This is why people need to be able to think for themselves. You
can't believe everything you're told ... but neither can you afford
to disbelieve everything you're told. You have to think.