[Phys-L] Re: World Jump Day

I received this website from my physics colleague. The idea is for people
on Earth to simultaneously jump to alter Earth's orbit to reduce global
warming. Yea, I thought it was a joke, too, until I went to the website:

<http://www.venehammerschlag.com/worldjumpday/> ...

Even ignoring the abundant physical absurdities, the entirely
ludicrous claim of nearly four hundred million registered jumpers
ought to at least raise one's eyebrows. This is an order of
magnitude larger than the number of people who use Google in a month
and only one order of magnitude smaller than the population of the
entire planet.

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona