[Phys-L] Re: Warning: Don't ask for Library loans on Political Topics

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Brian Whatcott wrote:

Thanks to Bruce for relaying Prof. Williams & Pontbriand's effort
on Thursday, Dec. 22nd., to set the record straight on this facet of
the government's security policy, which apparently involves
sidetracking of the secret FISA courts' oversight.
Huh, this incident has nothing to do with the allegations you make in the
above statement. An alleged student lied about being visited by Federal
Agents. It was widely reported without anyone checking the facts. Now that
a vote on the renewal of the Patriot Act has been delayed for 5 weeks the
real story of deception and lies is revealed. I suspect we shall see
another set of stories in about 4.5 weeks.....

They very properly did not identify the student in question.
(Why on EARTH would Bruce think this significant??)
Perhaps there never was a real student. Without the identification of
same the suspicion exists that this was another wonderful fabrication for
political/economic purposes. Conceived by the demoncrats. executed by uber
leftist professors (redundant yes i know), reported without any fact
checking by the blue states press and dedicated to
the proposition that any story that demonizes the republicans is a fair
story even if it is not true.

The person in question is reported to be 22 years old. He/she deserves no
anonymity. At what point do we require someone to be personally
responsible for their actions? This is not protecting a source or a young
student. This is protecting a suspected political operative who either
duped a college professor or was used by a professor to further a
political agenda. At least we should know the name so we can vote for
him/her when they run for office.

(I elsewhere read the comment that as the FISA courts will grant
just about every government tap request, even up to three days after
the event, one wonders why Bush signed an executive order in 2002
to end run the secret courts' oversight.)
I once read a comment that every college professor is an ultra leftist who
prefers indoctrination over education.

To date, I have remained silent while this listserv has allowed
far left
political rants to dominate the discussion. I would prefer to discuss
physics. But I could not allow the FALSE story about the Homeland
Security agents and the college student to go unchallenged.