[Phys-L] Re: judge rejects i.d. in PA case

John "Slo" Mallinckrodt wrote:

I think this is a prime example of the fuzzy thinking that=20
results from attempts to define science in terms of what=20
kinds of things it talks about, how it goes about its=20
business, how much the evidence seems to support it, etc.

As I have said here before, it seems to me that "science" is
distinguished not nearly so much by the fact that it is compatible
with evidence as it is by the fact that it rigorously rules things
out. =20

I, too, was considering emailing Prof George, and perhaps the Christi=
an Science Moniotor. To this end I was trying to come with my own de=
finition of what science is. I was currently looking at "science is =
the embodiment of a philosophy that the universe is logical and under=
standable, a philosophy that by observing the universe, humans can di=
scover the underlying patterns and rules." =20

This sort of scientific philosophy allows experts to probe the bounda=
ries of knowledge and allows novices to tackle everyday problems. In=
my mind, getting students to recognize the power and utility of this=
world-view is the main reason for teaching science, not any particul=
ar knowledge that they might memorize for the next exam.

ID fails this definition because it assumes the universe is not under=
standable - that facts beyond what we can probe and theories beyond w=
hat we can understand are at work in the universe. "Young earth crea=
tion" is limited science because it postulates that the universe is l=
ogical and understandable, but only to a point ~6000 yr ago.

Tim Folkerts