[Phys-L] Re: Warning: Don't ask for Library loans on Political Topics

I would think my experience from 1966 would lend credence to the story,
but evidently not.

bc, never reluctant.

John Clement wrote:
I think the story has a ring of truth when you consider that the
administration still insists that Iraq had a tie in with Alkaida. The FBI
has been known to investigate innocent people and to keep files on innocent
people. The main problem is that this story is hard to verify because the
people involved at U. Mass Amherst would be reluctant to have their names in
print. If anyone has colleagues at Amherst who could make some quiet
inquiries it might be possible to verify the story. It did occur to me that
it might be a fabrication, but it is not easy to find that out.

It also makes sense because I know firsthand of a ridiculous incident. A
friend of my daughter happens to be a Sikh. His parents converted and had
him in a Sikh school in India for a number of years. He is not at all as
committed as his parents. In either case the FBI visited them. After all
Sikhs wear turbans, but so do Hindus. Incidentally the boy doesn't wear a
turban much of the time. There also have been other reports, but again they
are hard to actually verify.

They don't know where their rear end is located!!!! This is the big
problem. Of course the now admitted secret illegal monitoring is also a big
problem. The former problem will prevent them from actually finding
terrorists.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

People that have been writing on this topic have assumed the news report
is true. I submit that
the story was fabricated to make waves to assist in the defeat of the
Patriot Act renewal. There
are aspects of this story that simply do not ring true for me. Frankly, I
find it hard to believe
that Homeland Security has in interest in whether someone reads Mao's
Little Red Book or not. Why
would they bring the book to the student to question him? Assuming they
did, why not give it to
him once they learned his purpose for requesting the book? Why should
faculty members decide not
to offer a course? If the story is true, why should we be fearful of
being asked questions? I,
for one, remain skeptical of the veracity of this story as I sense a
politcal motivation for its
publication.