[Phys-L] Re: Warning: Don't ask for Library loans on Political Topics

John Denker wrote: [2004-11-11]

Mark Shapiro asked, Are the Forces of Darkness on the March?

What kind of softball question is that? The forces of
darkness have been on the rampage for quite some time.

Some aspects of this are IMHO well within the charter of
this group.

1) For starters, the topic of "science policy and policymaking"
ought to be in-bounds. As I mentioned a few months ago, there
is some pretty good documentation available from the Union of
Concerned Scientists:

Since the release of the [first] UCS report in February, the
administration has continued to undermine the integrity of science in
policy ...

cut

It's the triumph of dogma over reality.

I add, it's our duty to support all education and research, not just in
science.

I thought I'd posted the following, but can't find it in my sent file
(3576 since April 2003):

When I resided in Berkeley my then wife [grad. stu. Music @ UCB] was
interviewed by an FBI agent while I was out teaching at Napa JC. He
said the editor of, if memory serves, The Peoples World was harassing
people to get subscriptions. I had sub'd, and it certainly wasn't after
harassment. Later I put two and two together. A week or two before my
mail, for at least a week, was delayed a day compared w/ our friends in
the front house [We lived behind in a cottage.], that is the Nation,
The Berkeley Barb, the Berk. Co-Op News, etc. Mail checks are illegal,
but I didn't learn that 'till much later.

Did they steal the subscription list or do a mail check of that pub?

This post will certainly increase the weight of my file

So my point: This kind of behavior has always been w/ us, since at
least the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 *. However, now it's very
wide spread and something to fear.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_and_Sedition_Acts

bc, who inherited his father's French copy of The Little Red Book.

p.s. Note how the DHS succeeded in suppressing the terrorism course, and
the first time I Googled Alien and sedition law, after an unusually long
time, paraphrased, "empty document" appeared. I tried again w/ quotes
around A & s, and obtained the above page. It's common knowledge Google
cooperates w/ China in censoring some sites. What does it do here?

Brian Whatcott wrote:
Agents' visit chills UMass Dartmouth senior
By AARON NICODEMUS, Standard-Times staff writer

NEW BEDFORD -- A senior at UMass Dartmouth was visited by federal
agents two months ago, after he requested a copy of Mao Tse-Tung's tome
on Communism called "The Little Red Book."

Two history professors at UMass Dartmouth, Brian Glyn Williams and
Robert Pontbriand, said the student told them he requested the book
through the UMass Dartmouth library's interlibrary loan program.

The student, who was completing a research paper on Communism for
Professor Pontbriand's class on fascism and totalitarianism, filled out
a form for the request, leaving his name, address, phone number and
Social Security number. He was later visited at his parents' home in
New Bedford by two agents of the Department of Homeland Security,
the professors said.

Remainder of article is found at this paper, on line:
<http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/12-05/12-17-05/a09lo650.htm>

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!