[Phys-L] Re: Off Topic (Oil Über Alles) - delete if uninterested

Joel Rauber wrote:

I'm a little puzzled as to what the motivation for an oil company or =
a coal company would be to be anti-Kyoto. Even with Kyoto accords th=
ey would presumably still be selling oil and coal and making profits.=
Its not even clear to me that the profits would be lessened (though=
I'm sure convoluted or maybe not so convoluted scenarios can be weav=
ed to the contrary.)

The answer, in my opinion, is that, from the (selfish, corporate - as=
opposed to human) viewpoint of the oil companies, Kyoto is the "nose=
of the camel getting under the tent" of the fossil fuel economy. Pl=
ease see my paper "Demise of Business as Usual" for a summary of some=
computational studies I did into five scenarios we can look for if w=
e take the bold stand of implementing modest conservation measures an=
d an Apollo-like program for switching to greenhouse-gas-free renewab=
le energy over the next 13 years in the Shadow of Peak Oil or the Wak=
e of Peak Oil whichever case obtains. You may have a free copy at ht=
tp://tinyurl.com/a4ded .

Tom Wayburn, Houston, Texas, http://web.wt.net/~twayburn/ (my slight=
ly re-organized, but still dirt-cheap and homemade, website that pati=
ently awaits your august criticism)