[Phys-L] Re: Momentum

While I am not a Jim Green Disciple, I do think this topic speaks to his
(and others) warnings about reifying energy. It is by thinking of energy as
something 'real' that is contained by the initial moving object, that then
causes us problems in thinking about how this energy 'stuff' ends up being
redistributed in the final system.

I think there are many cases where modeling energy as 'substance like' works
well, but this is not one of those.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Updated MOTION animations.
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm