[Phys-L] Re: Another Shot Fired in the War Against Science.

No comment on the Bush appointment. However the school in question is a
privately funded school with a right to set whatever standards it
requires for it's student body. If individuals don't agree or don't
like those policies they are not required to a attend the school. They
can attend a public university where one can freely and openly and
acceptably criticise those policies, while reacting vehemently when the
standards and policies of their institution are critised by the
"Fundamentalists". At most private schools policies are set by a board,
usually composed of constituents and supporters. If you don't like it
and don't agree, then you are perfectly free to start your own school,
rather than taking out "the machine guns".
James Mackey

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

"... Another Shot in Defense of Science ..."

We certainly need them.

Look what's in store for us if we don't get out the machine guns:

"Faculty members, too, must sign a pledge stating they share a
generally literalist belief in the Bible. Revealingly, only biology
and theology teachers are required to hold a literal view specifically
of the Bible's six-day creation story. Bonicelli has stated, 'I think
the most important thing is our academic excellence, [and the fact
that we] combine it with a serious statement about our faith and
values ... I believe in six literal days, but I remain open to someone
persuading me otherwise.'"

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_ID=10&article_ID=20366&categ_id=5

bc, who, when he hears ID, reaches for his pistol.

p.s. Just in case there is any doubt. I do not own or have available a
fire arm and never intend to; even turned down a gift rifle from my
mother. The above post IS FIGURATIVE.

Brian Whatcott wrote:

On a point of order:

I say this is rightly titled,