[Phys-L] Re: serious decline in number of students taking physics in UK schools

DR ROBERT J. LEEMING
Balsall Common, Coventry

Sir, Are we to conclude from the reports on energy policy and on the
demise of physics (Nov 21) that, in 20 years we will have lots of new
nuclear power stations but nobody who understands how they work?

Letters to the times (Lon.)

several letters pointed out that Nuclear was no solution and all the
processes except the fission itself produced CO2.

bc, who received a 5 meg attachment that killed his mail

Rauber, Joel wrote:

I noticed the article made the following comment, as well as other
interesting comments and facts.

"The study also shows that a teacher's expertise in a subject is the
second most powerful predictor of pupil achievement in GCSE and A level
physics, after pupil ability."

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu