[Phys-L] Re: measuring the period of a pendulum

In all seriousness, I have set up a motion sensor with a pendulum so
that the plot is drawn in real time along with the velocity plot and =
the
acceleration plot. The position plot is usually a very nice sine cur=
ve
while the velocity plot is somewhat less so and the acceleration plot
tends to be a raggedy sine plot. Still it is very easy to pick out t=
he
maxima, minima, and, of course the phase shift between plots. Studen=
ts
determine the period by counting from maximum to maximum (or better y=
et
over several maxima). I find that it makes understanding the derivat=
ive
of the sine somewhat more palatable. On a final note, the damping is
starkly evident.

THO
=20
Thomas O'Neill