[Phys-L] sponsors needed for Kenyan science & education students

Thanksgiving reminds me that we have so much -- let's give to others. Would
you like to help an impoverished young Kenyan attend college to become a
teacher or major in a science or medicine? The need for sponsors is great!

ACCES, a well-run Canadian charity founded by retired K-12 educators, works
in the highlands of western Kenya to give scholarships to needy young
people. Volunteer ACCES agents work in Kenya to personally oversee the
organization. $350 provides a complete year's tuition and living expenses.

I'm on the ACCES volunteer board of directors. I like ACCES so much that
I've sponsored 10 Kenyan students, most in the sciences and in education. I
correspond with some of them via e-mail. They are grateful for the
scholarships! (Only 1% of Kenyans go to college, I've heard.)

The Mission of ACCES is to help children and youth in Africa obtain the
skills and education needed to benefit themselves and their society. ACCES
was incorporated in 1993 to provide scholarships for post-secondary
students in the Kakamega District of Kenya.
Two other projects, a primary education program and an HIV/AIDS awareness
program, are now in place.

With ACCES scholarships, 700 young Kenyans have completed post-secondary
school and 300 are enrolled now.

In October 2005, 79 post-secondary students were selected to receive ACCES
scholarships. A structured system ensures that the most qualified and
needy students are given the chance for an education. ACCES is now pairing
these new students with donors who have made pledges to support a student
for 4 years at $400/year (Canadian; $350 U.S.).

Today my twice-yearly ACCES newsletter arrived in the mail. It includes
short autobiographies & pictures of 4 impoverished Kenyans, all of whom
have been accepted at universities or teachers' colleges. One will study
science, one medicine, and two education. All of them need a sponsor.
Please help!

If you'd like to support a Kenyan student, please send a check to the
address below, or donate at <http://www.acceskenya.org>, or contact ACCES
to discuss other options. American donors can make the check payable to
"KESHO", the U.S. branch, in order to receive a U.S. tax receipt.

ACCES
2662 Adanac Street
Vancouver, BC V5K 2M7
(604) 254-1100
<info@acceskenya.org>

If you make a donation...
* ALL of your donation will go to assist an ACCES student in Africa.
* A student will write to you, and you will have the opportunity to
communicate with him or her.
* You will receive a current photograph of the student.
* ACCES will keep you informed of the student's progress.
* An ACCES newsletter will be mailed to you twice a year to keep you
abreast of recent developments.
* A partial donation, combined with donations from others, will ensure that
one more student receives a much-needed education.
* All administrative costs will be raised by separate, special projects.

If you can't donate but you'd like to get a monthly e-mail update, reply to
<info@acceskenya.org> . I find the update enlightening, and you're never
asked for money, and they keep your e-mail address private.

ACCES is an amazingly worthwhile and effective charity.
cheers,
Jane Jackson

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 15 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.