[Phys-L] Re: Ambiguous Question

On Nov 17, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
Okay... I won't require that you read my mind. Joel, it is not you
nor
John D nor Ken that I am unsure about. It is Brian W, Bernard C.,
John
M., Dan M. These (maybe others) talked about the need to learn to
infer
things. But I cannot tell if they are siding with the prof who wrote
the question we are discussing, or whether they side with the
students.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817
(419)-358-3270
edmiston@bluffton.edu

I didn't take a side; that's why you're having trouble inferring
such :^).

I guess I'd side with the students who were unhappy, while
recognizing we all fall into this sort of trap, and we usually
negotiate out of it. I believe it is inappropriate to expect
significant discourse and verbal negotiation during a written exam,
so exam questions need to be as clear as possible. I believe
discourse lies at the center of good teaching and should be
encouraged.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>