[Phys-L] Re: Here we go again. WTC brought down by aircraft, not.

How accurately could the pilots have
aimed the planes to hit near the charges?

Very good thank you.

The third building was on fire, and there certainly was some shaking of it
due to the first two towers collapse.

Again thanks -- I had never read it was on fire. If it had been built,
like the two towers, w/ inadequate insulation no surprise. The key I
had read was the impact shook off the insulation (sprayed on) making the
beams vulnerable. Furthermore, haste resulted i the insulation not
being up to code. About the strength, this depends on the steel. there
is one steel that is designed to maintain its strength at a much higher
temp. than typical structural steel.

listserv.ac.il/~metal/class.doc

Figure 13.19
Effect of temperature on the strength of various types of steels (after
B. K. Bardhan-Roy, "Fire Resistance-Design and Detailing," Chapter 14 in
Handbook of Structural Concrete, F. K. Kong, R. H. Evans, E. Cohen, and
F. Roll, Eds., Pitman Advanced Publishing Program, 1983, pp. 14-16)

Although the strength loss may be recovered (depending on the level of
temperature) on cooling, one should consider the load-carrying capacity
of the steel in the high-temperature condition with respect to its
ability to support the loads imposed on the structure without failing
while the conditions of high temperature exist. Excessive deformation
in a steel structure exposed to fire may be aggravated by the reduction
in modulus of elasticity at high temperature.

[from the fig. High strength alloy steel bars loose half their strength
at 600 deg C.]

Because this topic was discussed in a newsletter, I have an 11 meg file
of pertinent info. including FEMA PDFs, the above, etc. Interested may
apply for an e-mail attachment. If your IP rejects it I'll split it.

bc, who thinks this is easier than reinventing the wheel, and someday
will have a web site

John Clement wrote:

If there is a conspiracy, what benefit is there in covering up evidence of
explosive sabotage?

The third building was on fire, and there certainly was some shaking of it
due to the first two towers collapse.

So the main argument the various authors have made is that no other steel
frame building has collapsed due to fire. Then there are other pieces of
evidence such as puffs of smoke and seismic data. I would be fairly
skeptical of this extra data without some means for verifying it.

When I was in engineering, it was well known that steel frame buildings
could collapse due to fire and that insulation was necessary to prevent such
collapse. Many accounts talk about the impossibility of melting the steel,
but are silent about the strength of steel at high temperatures. As I
recall it loses its rigidity long before it actually melts. While I am
certainly not an expert on this, I do know from experience that just because
something has not yet happened, that does not mean it can never happen. It
is likely that all 3 buildings had similarly inadequate insulation.

It is fun to speculate, but I tend to doubt that the government engineers
are that bad. And why would they try to cover up more evidence or
terrorism? I would suspect that Bush would welcome even more evidence to
push his agenda. Just think of all the things he could push through to
thwart the inside conspirators?

Incidentally my comments had assumed charges at the base. The conspiracy
speculators assume charges planted higher up, which would make the collapse
look like the result of the collision. How accurately could the pilots have
aimed the planes to hit near the charges?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Yes, that's why I subjected it, "Here we go again."

bc, who does wonder about the third building's collapse; only two
aircraft.

Shapiro, Mark wrote:

That's for sure!

Mark