[Phys-L] Re: light bulb transient - amendment

At 06:12 PM 11/14/2005, you wrote:
At 01:36 PM 11/14/2005, Leigh, you wrote:
Michael hits the nail on its head, as usual. The filament temperature
increases monotonically in time, and so too does the brightness of
the filament. However, before Michael pointed out what the actual
question was I didn't see it. John Denker's question would be a good
one to use on students for teaching purposes, but not on examinations
to test their knowledge of physics.

Leigh

Can anybody see the difference between a filament temperature
that increases monotonically, and a filament temperature that
increases uniformly?

:-)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!

Oops! I mispoke. If we suppose a filament of three separate resistivities
(say low/high/low R) then the high resistance section will heat
non-uniformly as I proposed - but temperature monotonicity fails for the
center section when the lower resistance sections heat. I believe that this
was the thrust of Ken Fox's 3 lamp demo?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!