[Phys-L] Re: A problem of motion and derivatives

At 12:16 AM 11/3/2005, Seth Miller, you wrote:

Given: Position L and time t, instantaneous velocity v is given by the
derivative of position with respect to time: dL/dt.

The second derivative of L wrt t, dL/dt^2 (equivalently: the derivative of v
wrt t, dv/dt) is instantaneous acceleration a.

The third derivative of L wrt t, dL/dt^3 (equivalently the derivative of a
wrt t, da/dt) is known as jerk - I don't know the proper symbol so I'll call
it j for now.

Assume a situation where an object has v = 0, and a = 0 (any inertial
frame). If the object is to change its inertial state to have a non-zero
final velocity, then the velocity must undergo a change from 0 to some
arbitrary positive value. I recognize that I am assuming that changes in
velocity are smooth and not discontinuous.

If the object is to change its velocity it must have a non-zero value for
acceleration; i.e. to change one's velocity requires an acceleration (either
by changing one's speed or direction). But if an object begins in a
non-accelerated frame where a = 0, in order to do this, the value for
acceleration must change from 0 to some non-zero value...

But this change in acceleration requires a non-zero value for jerk, and so
on ad infinitum.

This seems an unreasonable solution which most likely points to an error in
the analysis, which I hope can be explicitly pointed out to me.

Additionally there is one related problem: that of changes in motion and
whether any arbitrary path can be traveled in a way that keeps jerk to a
value of 0. If jerk = 0 then acceleration must be constant by definition.

But to move along an arbitrary path (the simplest example is circular
motion, say a car driving around in a circle), one cannot keep one's
velocity constant. When acceleration is constant for a car moving on a
circular path, the car can keep jerk =0 and end up driving in a tighter or
wider circle if it changes its direction and velocity in a harmonious way so
that their combined contribution to acceleration = some constant. For
example by driving in a tighter circle, one must apply some amount of
braking to keep overall acceleration constant. Is this the case or am I
missing something obvious? Can jerk be kept to 0 in this instance? Can it
be kept to 0 on any arbitrary path between two points?

Any of your thoughts, comments, insights, or critiques are welcome!

Thanks-

-Seth Miller
East Bay Waldorf School

I offer this, though not quite responsively to your question.

For people who first go to work doing aircraft simulations,
there comes a moment when they need to model some dynamic
situation. It often happens that they think in this way:
"I have a variable that describes the position of the dynamic
object. I can save its value until the next frame (time interval)
and find the difference, and knowing the frame interval,
I have derived a value for velocity. I could repeat this to
find the acceleration and so derive some force value...."

They are (or ought to be) soon taken in hand, while it is
explained this is a recipe for disaster: the derivatives are
noisy and compound the errors that stem from variability in
various values.

Instead, they are advised to start with the most changeable
integral on hand - which can often be acceleration along
some axis, and integrate this progressively, as needed.

Given acceleration a,
C Numerically Integrate
v = v (previous) + a * dt
x = x(previous) + v * dt
C Save values until next frame.
v(previous) = v
x(previous) = v
The displacement x is forgiving of jitter in higher terms, because
the change is a modest increment of the total, often enough.

[You will notice this is a simple integration scheme which can easily
be eleaborated to more accurate approaches - but this is often enough]

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!