[Phys-L] Re: A problem of motion and derivatives

For an object with v=0 and a=0 at t < 0, the imposition of a constant force
or acceleration at t=0 is a discontinuous event. (This includes dropping an
object, where the holding force has to go to zero instanteously.)

I think it might be the case that the force on a particle (or the net
force on a system of particles--i.e., an "object") rarely if ever
really changes discontinuously. I can't think of one. Can anyone
else?

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona