[Phys-L] Re: A novel voting system

For more than two candidates, a split vote (e.g., 0.6 vote for Ann, 0.3
vote for Bill, and 0.1 vote for Chuck) could be done, but given the
electorate's confusion over hanging chads, I shudder to think about
voters trying to handle fractions in the voting booth, especially with a
ballot containing a dozen elective offices.

I realize that it is just semantics because my +1 vote for a candidate

essentially negates someone else's +1 vote for my candidate's
opponent.
But that doesn't strike people as bad as if I actually had the power
take votes away from a candidate.

In this case, I think that allowing each voter the ability to cast a
vote either for or against a candidate outweighs upsetting the
innumerate.

Rick Strickert
Austin, TX