[Phys-L] Re: at home in four dimensions

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Denker" <jsd@AV8N.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 6:32 PM
Subject: at home in four dimensions

2) ... there is the approach we might call
"feeling at home in four dimensions". This emphasizes that four-vectors
are almost like three-vectors, boosts are almost like rotations, rapidity is
almost like an angle, et cetera. It makes heavy use of spacetime diagrams.

By the way, this looks to me like a beautiful description
of the role of metaphor in science. It could go along with
the examples discussed in _Where Mathematics Comes From_, by
Lakoff & Nunez, a book I highly commend to everyone.

Paolo Cavallo