[Phys-L] Re: A problem of motion and derivatives

JM wrote:
|If the velocity "is changing" then the
| acceleration "is not zero" by definition. In the case that Bob
| constructed, the velocity of the object was *not* "changing" at the
| instant it reached the highest point of its trajectory.

I take this to be a purely semantic argument. I would agree with the above
statements if both occurrences of the word "changing" were replaced with the
phrase "changing to first order".

This recognizes that there are an infinite variety of ways of "changing",
given by the various terms in a Taylor expansion.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/
trebor@winbeam.com