[Phys-L] Re: Voting Strategy

I would think it really depends on how the voting is likely to shake out
amongst the bulk of the voters. If say 90% of the voters spread their votes
equally amongst the 4 candidates, then either strategy works for the stated
purpose, but in fact NOT voting for the one you want out and voting for the
other three accomplishes both purposes in the above scenario. However, if
the person you want in is likely to draw fewer than 3/4 of the votes from
the non-strategy voters, then only voting for that person would be best. If
the one you want out is likely to get more than 3/4 of the votes from the
non-strategy folks, then using your 'ousting' strategy might not overcome
that person's lead AND you might also lose the chance to put in the person
you want.

So, I guess it depends on what the polls show and how many others you can
get to go along. If it looks pretty tight across the 4 candidates, vote for
all but who you want out. If the one you want in is a little behind, then
only vote for that one. If you don't have any poll info, then I would go
with the vote for the other three. I think there is too much uncertainty
here to really do much analytically--you need to know what the non-strategy
voters are likely to do.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
Animations for Lectures
Photo-realistic Lab simulations
Energy management simulations
Energy 2100--class project