[Phys-L] Re: Electromagnetism is Only a Theory!!!

Does anyone know if the amplifier was properly grounded, or was it
attached using a cheater plug? It is also possible that the wiring
was improper. I discovered a grounded plug in my house where the
ground was actually attached to the hot side by a previous owner. It
had been put in by a "student electrician" who did not screw in the
extra terminal screws. One of the them contacted the ungrounded metal
case of the receptacle enclosure. I checked all of my outlets after
that, and rewired most of them. I thought that most churches now used
wireless mikes except at strategic points such as the pulpit.

As long as the chassis is not live, the mike should not be a problem.
Most PA equipment has both an internal transformer and a grounded
plug so that there should be no possibility of electrocution. I would
say either they were using old defective, improperly constructed
equipment, or they defeated the ground.

Even electricians make fatal mistakes, and sometimes it is their
customers who die. Let us reserve judgement until the facts are
known.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

... physics teachers who play in pop groups might be advised to
touch a microphone to a copper water pipe or other assured ground
before each gig.

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately for us, we only do "country
western."

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

If I remember my 'Blues Brothers' correctly, it seemed like the band
could
get pretty wet from all the beer thrown at them! ;-)

Rick