From: Shapiro, Mark <mshapiro@EXCHANGE.FULLERTON.EDU>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Sent: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:28:36 -0800
Subject: Electromagnetism is Only a Theory!!!

Texas pastor electrocuted during baptism=20
Accident occurred when 33-year-old reached for a microphone

The Associated Press

Updated: 11:54 a.m. ET Oct. 31, 2005

=20

WACO, Texas - A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted inside h=
is
church Sunday morning after adjusting a nearby microphone while stand=
ing
in water, a church employee said.

The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was stepping into the baptistery as he reache=
out for the microphone, which produced an electric shock, said
University Baptist Church community pastor Ben Dudley.

Water in a baptistery usually reaches above the waist, said Byron
Weathersbee, interim university chaplain at Baylor University.

Lake was pronounced dead at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, nursing
supervisor Pat Mahl said. The woman being baptized apparently had not
stepped into the water and was not seriously injured.

Pastors at University Baptist Church routinely use a microphone durin=
baptisms, said Jamie Dudley, the wife of Ben Dudley and a business
administrator at the church.

"He was grabbing the microphone so everyone could hear," she said. "I=
t's
the only way you can be loud enough."

About 800 people attended the morning service, which was larger than
normal because it was homecoming weekend at nearby Baylor University,
Dudley said.

Lake had been at the church for nine years, the last seven as pastor.=
He
had a wife, Jennifer, a 5-year-old daughter and two 3-year-old sons.

At a remembrance attended by about 1,000 people Sunday night at First
Baptist Church, Ben Dudley told the UBC congregation that they would
move forward as a church.

"I don't know how, when, why, where or what's going to happen, but we
will continue as a church in the community because that is what Kyle
would have wanted," he said.

=20

=20

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro