[Phys-L] Re: Radioactive Bananas

At 05:19 PM 10/30/2005, Mike Edmiston, you wrote:
/// For a period of time I was working on
new detector ideas that, if they panned out, could be used for such
searches and also for things such as preventing nuclear proliferation.
I have not been involved in that for years, but I have a friend who
worked in this area for a long time until he recently retired. A lot of
the info on how they detect stuff and what levels can be detected is
classified.
//
Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.

I imagine that X-ray irradiation for gamma spectrum analysis
or neutron emission, and neutron activation for fission products
are two promising channels of enquiry. This does not bode well
for Trojan-Horse style stow-aways though.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!