[Phys-L] Re: student difficulties with velocity as a vector?

Robert Cohen wrote:
Further thoughts?

1) I'm sure there are more than one "right answer". Different students
are having different difficulties.

2) In this thread there have been many suggestions. These should be
considered only hypotheses (even though some of them have been stated
overly strongly, as if they were "facts").

3) The accumulated set of hypotheses is almost certainly incomplete.

4) Even so, we have not nearly enough data to discriminate among the
available hypotheses. I suspect collecting more data would be a very
fruitful direction to proceed.
1) Can they handle vectors in general, e.g. position vectors as opposed
to velocity vectors?
2) Do they know the terminology, e.g. "horizontal velocity" means
"horizontal component of the velocity vector"?
3) Are they paying attention at all, e.g. can they answer even the
most trivial of questions about what is being discussed?
4) Do they understand about separation of variables, i.e. that the
vertical acceleration and velocity are independent of the horizontal
acceleration and velocity? This is is not trivial or obvious to
some students. It is a reasonably direct consequence of the linearity
of the Euclidean vector-space axioms and the laws of motion ... but
intro students typically have no clue about "linearity" or "Euclidean
vector-space axioms". If they understand vectors at all they probably
think in terms of direction & magnitude which is a grossly *nonlinear*
way of describing vectors. Just because the people on this list think
of "vector space" and "linear space" as practically synonymous doesn't
mean the kids do.
*) etc. etc. etc.

I suggest multiple rounds of testing. The second round may suggest what
questions need to be asked on the third round.

Returning to item 4: Personally I'm torn ... I don't know "the" best way
to introduce vectors. There is a consensus among mathematicians that the
"linear Euclidean space" axioms are "the" way to go, and there is merit in
that approach. Meanwhile, there is also merit in the "direction & magnitude"
approach. Each approach is optimal for capturing the physics in some
situations but not others.

One thing's for sure (as "sure" as anything can be in this business) is
that until the kids can see vectors *both* ways, passing back and forth
between the linear idea and the direction & magnitude idea, they don't
really "understand" vectors, and you're going to get weird inconsistent
results when trying to apply vector ideas.