[Phys-L] Re: Natural Gas versus Electricity

The small group of people who want to return humans to the caves have been
trying for decades to show that radiation from electrical power (usually
from high-voltage transmission lines) is a health hazard. They haven't
been
able to do so. For every statistically questionable study that shows some
negative health factor, they seem to come up with another (equally
questionable) study that shows positive correlations.

I attended a rather good conference here in the UK recently where the
speaker from the National Grid said that there definitely was clustering of
child lukemia cases around high voltage utilities. There is no known causal
link as yet (and if there is one it may not be anything to do with the
electricity supply i.e. reduced value housing near electric train tracks,
sub stations etc occupied by lower income families on poor diets etc). I was
pleasantly surprised that he even admitted that there was clustering. His
open and unbiased manner restored my faith in that particluar industry.

Cheers

Gary

G. D. Williams,
Editor, Physics Education
National Coordinator, IoP Teacher Network
gary.williams@iop.org
gdwilliams100@hotmail.com