[Phys-L] Natural Gas versus Electricity

The recent list discussion on natural gas versus electric heating cos=
ts
has surprised me. A quick check of our gas and electric bill for las=
month in Annapolis, Maryland reveals a natural gas cost of $0.086/kWh
and a electricity cost of $0.075/kWh. These costs include all delive=
ry
charges and taxes. Our two year old gas furnace is 80% efficient, so=
we
are paying significantly more to heat with gas than with electricity.

What are the thoughts of the list on using electric blankets when
sleeping at night? Right now my wife, who always feels colder than m=
e,
preheats our electric blanket before getting into bed. She then shut=
it off when going to sleep because of concerns (which I share) that
there might be a cancer risk in long term use of the blanket. We,
therefore, keep our thermostat higher at night to stay warm. Using t=
he
electric blanket all night, we could lower the thermostat.

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp
Annapolis, MD