[Phys-L] Re: Natural Gas vs Electricity

| To expand on home options--most people are heated by gas or
| fuel oil but both of these tend to be all or nothing systems.
| That is, it takes a fairly new, fancy, and expensive gas
| heating system to have zones.

My house, built in 1963, has gas heat and is zoned. It only has two
zones (upstairs and downstairs). So forced air zoning is not just newer
systems that have zoning. I don't know the expense to originally put in
the system in 1963; however, I can attest to a high repair cost, last
week we had to have a baffle motor replaced in the system and one of the
zone thermostats replaced.

Interesting calculation that Mike E. made. I have been wondering if I
should put in an electric forced air furnace for one of the zones. Our
KW-hr costs are similar to his (mostly coal and hydro generated
electricity).