[Phys-L] Re: Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries

Those who dislike long posts (17 kB) or references, or have no
interest in the "Ten Most Harmful Books" are urged to hit the DELETE
button. And if you reply PLEASE DON'T HIT THE REPLY BUTTON unless you
prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a
few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be
needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT: I reference attempts by Michael Shermer, Sharon Begley,
and Susan Clancy to answer the question "Why do people believe in
weird things," e.g., the ability of a commercially available
"electron water/air machine" to change the hydrogen bond angle of
water, "Intelligent Design," abduction by aliens from outer space,
and (most outrageously) THAT DEWEY'S "DEMOCRACY AND EDUCATION" IS THE
5TH MOST HARMFUL BOOK OF THE 19TH AND 20TH CENTURIES (as indicated by
15 "conservative scholars and public policy leaders" designated as
judges by the editors of the conservative weekly "Human Events").
Have there been any substantive counters to that harmful book list?
There can be little doubt that (with the possible exception of "Mein
Kampf") blogger Harvey Jerkwater's list (headed by Julie Child's
"Mastering the Art of French Cooking") contains books far more
harmful than those listed by "World Events."

Centuries," [Hake (2005)], POD's Ed Nuhfer (2005) wrote [bracketed by
lines "NNNNN. . . "; my insertions within square brackets]:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
I immediately wondered what a book list by the opposite lunatic
fringe would contain. Ever the spokesman for alternative irreverent
interpretations, I initially found Hake's post hopeful - hopeful -
that any group would take to reading the likes of Freidrich
Nietzsche, John Dewey, John Stuart Mill, Charles Darwin . . . and
then have an evaluative argument. (Our current campus reading is
"Nickel and Dimed" [Ehrenreich (2005)]). Not quite in the same
literary class and it didn't make the dangerous book hit list...the
compilers were obviously not Walmart shoppers.

However, the flashing window at the lower left of the list caught my
attention. It linked [<http://www.johnellis.com/fs_main.htm>] to
someone trying to sell me an "electron water/air machine" that would
purify my home's water and "permanently change the properties of
water so they could be identified 100 years from now" ["Fifty years
ago the hydrogen bond angle in water was 108 degrees and you rarely
heard of anyone with cancer. Today, it's only 104 degrees and, as a
result, cancer is an epidemic!! By using our machine you can increase
the bond angle to 114 degrees and, unlike any other water, doctors
can see an immediate change in the red blood cells under a
microscope! It's truly amazing!!] Finding this juxtaposed with the
listing of books by such influential writers, I realized I had
arrived in critical thinking hell. "Nickel & Dimed"...suddenly looked
like a canon candidate.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

The flashing window at the lower left of the ""Ten Most Harmful Books
Of the 19th and 20th Centuries""
site <http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591> shows
that hucksters for the "electron water/air machine" realize that
"Human Events" probably serves one of the *most* scientifically
illiterate sectors in a nation of science illiterates [Hake (2000)]
- eager to believe even the most outrageous quackery.

Why do people believe in weird things such as the ability of the
"electron water/air machine" to change the hydrogen bond angle in
water, "Intelligent Design," abduction by aliens from outer space,
and (most outrageously) that Dewey's (1916) "Democracy and Education"
is the 5th most harmful book of the 19th and 20th Centuries - as
indicated by 15 "conservative scholars and public policy
leaders" picked by "Human Events Online"
<http://www.humaneventsonline.com/> - "The National Conservative
Weekly - Since 1944"?

This question has been addressed by, e.g.:

(a) psychologist and science historian Michael Shermer
<http://www.skeptic.com/about_us/meet_michael_shermer.html> in "Why
People Believe Weird Things" [Shermer (2002)] and "Science Friction"
[Shermer (2005)],

(b) Wall Street Journal columnist Sharon Begley in "For Space
Travelers, Logic Seems to Be A Truly Alien Concept" [Begley (2005)],
a discussion of

(c) "Abducted: How People Come to Believe They Were Kidnapped by
Aliens" by Harvard psychologist Susan Clancy (2005).

Unfortunately, it's probably too much to hope that aliens will swoop
down and kidnap the editors
<http://www.humaneventsonline.com/about-editors.php> of "World
Events" along with their 15 "conservative scholars and public policy
leaders" [for their names, associations, and a relevant URL for
each, see APPENDIX #2 of Hake (2005)]. They will remain at large to
mislead the public.

Have there been any substantive counters of the "Ten Most Harmful
Books Of the 19th and 20th Centuries"?

A Google search For "Ten Most Harmful Books" (with the quotes)
yielded 147,000 hits, among them a reference to perceptive blogger
Harvey Jerkwater's (2005) "Filing Cabinet of the Damned: The Ten Most
Harmful Books." There can be little doubt that (with the possible
exception of "Mein Kampf") Jerkwater's list contains books far more
harmful than those listed by "World Events" (if you doubt this scan
Jerkwater's erudite rationale for each book at
<http://filingcabinetofthedamned.blogspot.com/2005/06/ten-most-harmful-books.html>):

1. Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Julia Child;
2. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens;
3. Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary;
4. The Complete Poems of Emily Dickenson;
5. The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien;
6. Frankenstein: Or the Modern Prometheus, Mary Shelley;
7. The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand;
8. The Man Who Knew Too Much, G.K. Chesterton;
9. Where's Waldo, Martin Handford;
10. The DaVinci Code, Dan Brown.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>