[Phys-L] Re: Free body diagram misconception

On Friday, October 21, 2005 6:09 PM, Gene Gordon wrote:

I am sorry to say that due to the lateness of the hour or
just typing, I
mistyped the problem. Everything in the problem, except for
the force
acting on the system. The force should be acting on block 2.
not block 1, since that is the accceleration that i was asking about.

If I am interpreting the "new" problem correctly, I think the answer has
already been given in that it seems similar to considering a single
block at rest on a floor with coefficient mu and NO applied force and
then concluding that it must accelerate since the force diagram gives:
mu m g = m a
Then again, perhaps I am missing something.

Robert Cohen, Chair, Department of Physics
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301
570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq