[Phys-L] Re: computation +- math skills

a) Mathematics has benefitted greatly from computation. The most
obvious examples are things like the four-color proof, which could
not have been done without a computer

We always knew the Four Color Theorem was true (or strongly suspected=
). The beauty of the theorem is that the statement of the theorem ca=
n be explained to anyone; it is there before your eyes. But the proo=
f by computer is completely opaque and almost worthless. Even the v=
ery long proof of Fermat's Theorem is less than satisfying. What one=
wants is a short, elegant proof that stands before one's eyes as a s=
ingle object and can be taken in at a glance.

Moreover, see the reference to the work by Clifford Truesdell in the =
references to my paper Some Unintended Effects of Computers at http:/=
/tinyurl.com/dqvj8 , which contains some additional remarks on the ef=
fects of computers.

Tom Wayburn, Houston, Texas, http://web.wt.net/~twayburn=20

http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dhaken+appel
but less-obvious effects are pervasive. Math (of the sort that
mathematcians do) is all about proofs ... and the standard of
proof involved in /proving/ the correctness of computer programs is
dramatically higher than the old-style standards of the mathematics
community.
=20
a') Conversely, computing has benefitted greatly from mathematics.
The algorithms you need for doing things on a computer are oftentim=
es
different in detail from the algorithms you need for doing things w=
ith
pencil and paper ... but only in detail. The general thought-proce=
sses
that go into designing a fiendishly clever algorithm are fundamenta=
lly
the same.
=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=20
b) At the other end of the spectrum, as computers and technology in
general become more sophisticated, the more they look like magic to
the casual user.
=20
Belief in magic is extremely corrosive to rational thought. In a
democracy, this is a very very serious problem.
=20
On a smaller scale, but still a topic of concern, I don't like the
fact that a lot of mass-market software tells the user what to do,
not vice versa. The nightmare scenario of the sorcerer's apprentic=
goes back ~2000 years ... not to mention Faust and probably 100
science-fiction dystopia stories per year for the last 100 years.
I want to be telling my machines what to do, not vice versa!
=20
This makes contact with Michael E's lament that students tend to as=
sume
the powerpoint format must be the right report format, and the exce=
"chart" format must be the right "chart" format. It is crucial to
teach the students that they are in charge ... and they have person=
al
responsibility for the final product.
=20
I see this in my student pilots. The ones that can afford fancy
electronics (GPS moving map etc.) would -- if I let them -- come to
rely on that stuff too much. I counter this initally by asking lot=
of hypothetical but pointed questions about what they would do if
this-or-that instrument failed. Later I make the lesson entirely
non-hypothetical by turning off all the fancy stuff when they least
expect it, giving them the "opportunity" to get us home using basic
stick-and-rudder skills. Sometimes they are initially irate about
this, but a couple days later they call me up and say "let's go do
that again". It is easy for the flight instructor to motivate the
students, because these are clearly life-and-death issues. It is
harder to achieve the same level of motivation in intro physics cla=
ss.