[Phys-L] Re: notation for initial velocity components

| I agree with Michael's notation and the reason I like F_12 is
| because I think of the 2nd subscript as a semi-optional
| sub-subscript: hence
| F_1 = sum over i of F_1_i. (Optional because if there are
| only two objects of interest then the net force on 1, F_1, is
| the force on 1 due to 2, F_1_2. The subscript 2 is then only
| a reminder, which we can drop when we get tired of writing it.) -Carl

OTOH, the subscript, particularly in a FBD, usually refers to the object
causing the force, not the object receiving the force.

E.g. F_s for spring force acting on an object, or F_T for the tension
in a rope acting on an object, etc.

Good point. So if there are several springs and masses (like in a
coupled oscillator problem), we may need to write things like F_1_s_2
for the force on mass 1 due to spring 2, right? :-) Carl

--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002