[Phys-L] Bateman (was survey meters)

Batemen equations, to which Bernard refers (see below), can be
simplified when one is not interested in radioactivity associated with
predecessors whose half-lives are relatively short. Consider this
sequence:

0 --> 1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 4 --> 5 --> 6 --> 7 --> 8 -->

where numbers refer to generations of isotopes. Suppose we are
interested in the time dependence of radioactivity from the product #5
when the initial activity, and the half-life To of the starter, are
given. Initial amount of products #1, 2, 3 and 4 must be zeros in this
formalism, as indicated by Bernard.

Suppose that To=100 years while T1, T2, T3 and T4 are much shorter. In
such case, to a very good approximation, one can say that the result is
essentially the same as for a much easier case:

The starter, as always, decays exponentially. The #5 grows accordingly
and then decays exponentially at the same rate as the original. This
particular problem does not ask about radioactivity from #6, 7, 8, etc.
The half-life of #5 is presumably given, for example, 200 minutes or
200 years.
Ludwik